The Province of British Columbia offers aggressive immigration programs for skilled workers and business immigrants.
Skilled Worker Programs – For skilled workers and skilled trades workers. These programs are based on invitation and applicants are awarded points. Overseas work experience is counter in these categories.
However, recent international graduates of a Canadian university or college may not need any work experience, depending on the job being offered.
Express Entry British Columbia
Express Entry BC is a faster way for eligible skilled workers to immigrate to BC. You must also qualify for a federal economic immigration program. It uses points-based invitation system, and is an entirely web-based registration and application process for both the BC PNP and permanent residency process. You do not require BC work experience. However, you must have relevant work experience as well as meet other requirements such as education and language. At Just To Canada, we assess applications in this category. For an accurate assessment, do get in touch with us.
BC PNP TECH PILOT
The BC PNP Tech Pilot has been extended to June 2020 to provide BC tech employers with the continued ability to recruit and retain international talent. The BC tech sector is a major driver of economic growth in the province, with tech employment at its highest level ever recorded. The demand for talent in BC’s tech sector is increasing faster than the supply.
The BC PNP Tech Pilot helps employers to address their talent needs by providing a fast-tracked, permanent immigration pathway for in-demand foreign workers and international students.
Other Immigration Options
If the BC Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) is not right for you and your family, you may be able to come to Canada through another program.
Check out your options:
Canadian Experience Class. This program allows those with work experience in Canada to become permanent residents.
Family Sponsorship. This option is a way for citizens and permanent residents over the age of 18 to sponsor their relatives to come to Canada.
Live-in Caregiver Program. Through this program, qualified individuals can come to Canada to care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes.
Federal Skilled Workers Program. This program offers permanent residency to skilled professionals who can contribute to Canada’s economy.
Federal Skilled Trades Program. This program offers permanent residency for qualified skilled trades workers who can contribute to the Canada’s economy.
The Self-Employed Persons Program. This program is for people who will become self-employed in Canada.
Start-up Visa Program. Entrepreneurs with the skills and ideas to build an innovative business in Canada may be eligible for this program.
Temporary Foreign Worker Program. This program allows foreign workers to come to Canada to fill short-term labour and skill shortages.
BC BUSINESS IMMIGRATION
Entrepreneur Immigration – Regional Pilot
The BC Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) Entrepreneur Immigration – Regional Pilot (EI – Regional Pilot) is focused on attracting entrepreneurs from around the world to establish businesses in regional communities. This will help meet the communities’ economic development needs and encourage investments outside urban areas.
Before considering the Entrepreneur Immigration – Regional Pilot, you should familiarize yourself with the program criteria and check your eligibility.
Key features of the EI Regional Pilot:
- Active community role – participating communities have a key role in the pilot. They are actively involved in attracting foreign entrepreneurs to their community and working with local partners and existing networks to provide support for entrepreneurs settling into their communities.
- Referral from the community – participating communities may refer foreign entrepreneurs to the BC PNP whose business concept aligns with the community’s economic priorities. The foreign entrepreneur must be invited by the community to conduct an exploratory visit and present their concept to the community’s designated contact person prior to receiving a referral.
- Community concierge – a dedicated BC PNP concierge service supports communities with immigration program information.
- Invitations & prioritization – foreign entrepreneurs who are referred by a participating community are placed in a separate registration pool dedicated to the pilot when they register. Regional pilot registrations and applications are prioritized.
Eligibility Requirements under BC Entrepreneur Programs assessment and evaluation
At least 3 years of experience as a business owner / manager OR at least 4 years of experience as a senior manager OR a combination of 1+ years of experience as a business owner/manager and 2+ years of experience as a senior manager.
Net Worth and Investment requirement:
- Net worth under Base Category: At least Cad$600,000 and out of this net worth, at least $200,000 investment is required.
- Net worth under Regional Pilot Category: At least Cad$300,000 and out of this net worth, at least $100,000 investment is required.
Interestingly, if the applicant has earned a post-secondary credential OR experience as an active business owner/manager for at least 3 years of the last 5 years with 100% ownership of the business.
- Base Category: At least 33.33% and
- Regional Pilot: At least 51% is required.
Must create at least one full time equivalent job for a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
Not required under the Base category but mandatory under Regional Pilot program where a visit to an enrolled community for support before registering the EOI is required.
Under the Base category, language proficiency is not required UNLESS the applicant takes the test and claims points for it.
However, under the Regional Pilot stream, minimum CLB 4 equivalent in English OR French is required and official test result is required.
Can a Partner with co-registrant a requirement?
Yes, in the case of Base category BUT not under the Regional Pilot program.
|Minimum Education:||Post secondary or exp as owner/manager for 3 years|
|Language Requirement :||Min IELTS Bands 5|
|Senior Managerial Exp:||More than 4 years|
|Business Exp:||More than 3 years of exp or combination of both adding to 3 years|
|Net Worth Requirement:||CAD $600,000|
|Min Required Investment:||CAD $200,000|
|Liquid funds to be shown on applying:||Not Required|
|Spouse ‘s English Proficiency:||Not Required|
|Good Faith Deposit:||Not Required|
|Leading to:||Work Permit, PR after nomination|